From the Unification of Italy to 1917
From the Unification of Italy
The Pavia University clinic for the study and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders dates back to the early years of post-unification Italy. Initially based in part of Palazzo del Maino, its first director was Cesare Lombroso.
In 1876, the post of director was assigned to Augusto Tamburini and subsequently to Antonio Raggi, who also directed the asylum of Voghera.
1917: The birth of the “Neuropathology Clinic”.
In 1898, Casimiro Mondino, a pupil of Camillo Golgi and former professor at the University of Palermo, was appointed by the University of Pavia to teach psychiatry. In the same year, the psychiatric hospital in Voghera broke away from the Pavia clinic, prompting Mondino to found a cutting-edge institute in the field of the “treatment of nervous diseases” which he called Clinica Neuropatologica. Under his guidance, the clinic moved to Via Palestro. It was officially decreed a non-profit organisation on June 10th, 1917.
From 1918 to the present day
1924: the birth of the Casimiro Mondino Foundation
Mondino directed the clinic until his death in 1924. He left his estate to the “Casimiro Mondino Foundation”, which, on a new and independent basis, developed further under the direction of Ottorino Rossi, founder of the Pavia School of Neurology.
1973: recognition as a Scientific Institute for Research, Hospitalisation and Healthcare – IRCCS
In 1973, the Italian Health Ministry formally recognised the Foundation as Scientific Institute for Research, Hospitalisation and Healthcare and a private body.
2003: the new site in via Mondino
In 2003, the Institute completed its move to its current site in Via Mondino, thereby crowning and continuing its century-long tradition as a scientific centre dedicated to teaching, care and research in the fields of nervous system disorders, neuroscience and neurorehabilitation.